[Aroid-l] Re: New Dark Alocasia

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: New Dark Alocasia
  • From: LARIANN GARNER <AROIDIAN@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 22:38:30 -0400

I have the plant right next to a robust specimen of A. alba and the morphological differences are quite clear once you see them next to each other. There are similarities, however, as there are between A. alba and A. sarawakensis. For me, the tell-tale sign will be the morphology of the inflorescences when they finally appear. The A. alba actually has much more prominent venation on both the abaxial and adaxial surfaces and a heavier substance overall to the leaf than has this plant or A. sarawakensis.

In some respects, one could say that this plant appears somewhat intermediate between A. alba and A. sarawakensis, as A. sarawakensis petioles have a rough, almost peach-fuzz texture and both this plant and A. alba petioles are smooth to the touch. But then there is the color, which is characteristic of neither of the two species in question!

I would argue against this plant being a hybrid, as one of the most likely parents, A. plumbea Nigra, has never produced pollen in my experience, implying to me that it may be a sterile hybrid itself, or a sterile sport.

An intriguing enigma, for sure!

Aroidia Research

Alistair wrote:

What a wonderful-looking plant! If its not a hybrid it certainly looks like alba or sarawakensis. I was interested to see you say it was not alba: not disagreeing with you, but why not?

Aroid-l mailing list