Re: Epiphyllums/Off topic

  • Subject: Re: Epiphyllums/Off topic
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 09:59:15 +0000

> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:48:12 -0700
> From: leo@possi.org
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Epiphyllums

Dear Friends,

I am NOT a Cactus person, but will add my two cents to this mix.
It appears that this ''debate'' is now centered around the narrow determination of the difference between a ''rain forest'' and a ''tropical deciduous forest".   Being from Trinidad, and having traveled in Fr. Guyana, I can assure all that tree-growing Cacti I am familiar with, in most cases do NOT make a distinction, and that they do not suddenly stop growing or existing in what the experts consider ''true rain forests''.   I have seen climbing epiphitic Cacti high in the wet canopy, who knows what genera they may be determined to belong to once they are collected, and Taxonomists get their hands on them.   If, as it is being said, the range of the Cactus genus Epiphyllum is from Southern Mexico, all of Central America, and all down the Western side of S. America, I can assure all that in many of these areas, especially in Panama and W. Colombia, W. Bolivia and W. Brazil there are REAL rain forests with Cacti growing in them, I don`t know how many species and of what genera
 they may be!
The discussion also got turned around, as it was Steve who was ''warning'' that the cacti in question would NOT tollerate a freeze, the other guy twisted this around to say that Steve had written that they WOULD take low temps./freezes.
My two cents.

Julius Boos
 Steve wrote