Re: Keys to Anthurium and Philodendron

  • Subject: Re: Keys to Anthurium and Philodendron
  • From: "anna haigh" <anabaena@london.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 11:08:41 -0500

Dear Denis,

I am working on a project called "Creating a taxonomic e-Science", which is based in the UK at Kew gardens. There are many Aroiders involved, please see the website for details. This is an experimental project using the Aroids as an example group. The aim is to try to gather all the taxonomic information on this one family in one place, and for it to be updated online by anybody who is interested, subject to a peer review process. This will work a bit like a journal, but is still under development.

As part of the project we have built identification keys to all the genera of Aroids, to Arum, and most recently to Anthurium and Philodendron. These last two have just gone online and as you can imagine has involved quite a bit of work, from various different people. The key to Anthurium was built by Reynolds, L., Haigh, A., Croat, T.B., Mayo, S.J. and the Philodendron one by Mora-P., M.M., Croat, T.B., Mayo, S.J., Haigh, A.

Please do have a look at http://www.cate-araceae.org/index.do, you will find links to the keys on the left hand side. The website explains more about the project, and is really a big team effort.  Please let us know what you think on our network page, where there are forums:  http://scratchpad.cate-araceae.org/, or here on Aroid L.

As the software is developed we really hope that more people will be able to contribute directly online. However if you would like to contribute now, please let me know.

All the best,

Anna Haigh on behalf of the CATE team.