Re: Philodendrons produce infrared light???

  • Subject: Re: Philodendrons produce infrared light???
  • From: ted.held@us.henkel.com
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:18:42 -0400

Steve,

I expect that what is being described is infrared light radiating from internally-produced heat via thermogenesis. Thermogenesis will happen in the dark. Warm bodies radiate infrared. You, sitting at your computer screen, are generating infrared just sitting there and being alive. That's how you feel warm when there's a fire across the room. The amount of heat emitted by a body depends on its temperature and will radiate energy even when quite cold, although it is not as easy to detect. The earth radiates stupendous amounts of heat into space all the time.

Yes, an infrared camera will pick up a glow from an aroid "in heat".

Ted.

"ExoticRainforest" <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
Sent by: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com

05/19/2008 04:54 PM

Please respond to
Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
cc
Subject
[Aroid-l] Philodendrons produce infrared light???

There is a guy on UBC which is one of the sites I often answer questions about aroids insisting his Philodendron bipennidifidum is producing infrared light as a result of the spadix going through male and female anthesis.  I've tried to explain the process as I've learned it from Dr. Croat and Julius including insect pollinators and how they are attracted to the plant as a result of pheromones.  I now am receiving private male from others saying they think he is onto something.  It is obvious from his "strange science" he knows nothing about aroids.  He had no idea what pollen even was, yet he described it as a purely personal observation.  His theory is the heat produced by the spadix is a result of infrared light and he appears to have no understanding of thermogenesis.  Will any of you please let me know if such a thing is even possible?

I've read of nothing close to this in any of the published material in my library.  I am checking Simon Mayo, J. Bogner and Pete Boyce's book right now, so if any of you know of something I don't know, please put me on the right track.

And by the way, Julius, you sent me a great explanation of how Philodendron species reproduce.  I can't find that anywhere!  I would have sworn I added it to my website but can't find it now!  If you have
that at hand, please send it to me and also publish it here.

Steve Lucas
www.ExoticRainforest.com