Re: leaf beetles on aroids

  • Subject: Re: leaf beetles on aroids
  • From: Eugene Hoh <eugene_hoh@yahoo.com.au>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 07:11:30 +1000 (EST)

hi Peter, Christopher & all,

At the International Aroid Symposium in Kuching back
in 2004 (as some of us on aroid-L will remember)
there were some very interesting presentations on
animal-plant interactions - and one of these was,
indeed, a paper on beetles cutting circular holes in
aroids, by entomologist Christopher Darling.

Apparently these cuts allow latex (unpalatable to
beetles?) to drain from the encircled areas, which are
subsequently eaten. Darling's study was conducted in
Vietnam - but during the symposium field trip he
pointed out similar holes occurring in some local
aroids (eg. Alocasia sp. - A. scabriuscula??) which we
saw growing near roadsides and streams. All the holes
seemed to be about the same size.

Here's a link I've found, to a published paper:

http://www.eeb.utoronto.ca/system/files/2007_Darling+_Holey_aroids_Biotropica.pdf

In case the link doesn't work, the reference is:
Biotropica 39(4), 555-558, 2007; and the species
studied were the beetle Aplosonyx ancora
(Chrysomelidae),  Alocasia navicularis and Colocasia
gigantea.

The paper also mentions that the Philippines is within
the range of the genus Aplosonyx, and all the recorded
host plants of the genus are aroids (C. esculenta is
one).

Hope this is useful.

cheers
Eugene