Re: A. titanum to flower in Missouri

  • Subject: Re: A. titanum to flower in Missouri
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 18:35:28 +0000

Congrats, all you folks up at MOBOT!
To think that pre-Jim Symon`s great work and collections of seed from the wild, this was a VERY rare event, even to have a plant of this in cultivation was a note-worthy event!
As a boy growing up, all that was available to me (and us!) back then were OLD B + W photos of men in long coats standing next to a blooming specimen in some European Botanical Garden`s greenhouse!
Though I have seen reports of many bloomings and even witnessed a couple of actual blooms (at Fairchild Gardens in Miami), most from Jim`s wild-collected seeds, I still get a rise and a thrill from ALL the new reports and photos of this plants blooming, it certainlly is one of the iconic species in the world of aroids!
Again, keep up the good work!

Julius