Re: Pseudodracontium - RIP?

  • Subject: Re: Pseudodracontium - RIP?
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@xs4all.nl>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 12:06:48 +0200

Hi Marek,

An interesting suggestion: logic and botanical nomenclature in one system. I
wish you could arrange this and save us from every 5 years changing the
nomenclature code and spending expensive hours of scientists in debating
hundreds of amendmends at expensive congresses as a hobby. It is becoming a
(pseudo-)science in itself to change the code and many, many, many illogical
things are in there and unworkable complex solutions for one or two
nomenclatural occurrences in the plant kingdom (whatever that may be these
days..........). The ICNCP is like a computer programma that must fit the
needs of way too many people. Every programmer knows what that ledas
to....... Democracy at its worst.

Having moped enough: believe me, the rules force us to use
Thomsonieae............. Although the genus name Thomsonia is now part of
Amorphophallus, the name itself was legitimately published and the the
derived name Thomsonieae the oldest and correct one for the tribe. Whether
Thomsonia itself is used or not is beside the point (I know, sounds very

I will refrain from dividing up Amorphophallus in all possible ranks because
its internal phylogenetic structure is not stable enough (I will recogniese
5 major robust clades and a few within them but will not name them yet).
Following my work, Hamburg student Cyrille Claudel will publish a more
robust phylogeny and maybe then we can suggest more stable infrageneric
ranks. Pseudodracontium is very tightly bound to the species around Am.
longituberosus (incl. coudercii, albispathus and tenuispadix) and it may
well be more useful to give a name to the combination Pseudodracontium + the
Am. longituberosus alliance. I am also trying to avoid creating a plethora
of new names at infrageneric levels. That's just name-pushing. The trouble
with the present Linnean-based system of naming ranks is that every name at
one level in the hierarchy automatically must lead to names at the same
ranks for other groups at the same hierarchical level in the classification.
That is a very unfortunate byproduct of the ICNCP rules and I think it is
high time we overtrhow it and look for a smarter solution (the Phylocode
initiative maybe.................?).

O.k., maybe now you know more than you hoped for........

Lord P(hylocode apprentice-oid).