Re: Amorphophallus titanum flowering at Selby Gardens

-----Original Message-----
From: SelbyHort@aol.com <SelbyHort@aol.com>
To: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Date: Monday, May 10, 1999 5:22 PM
Subject: Amorphophallus titanum flowering at Selby Gardens

Dear Donna,
GREAT NEWS!!  Congrats!!!  Thanks for letting me know about this 'blessed'
event!!   One point, if at ALL possible, try to 'slip in' a note about Jim
Symon`s roll in bringing the seeds of these wonderful plants out of the wild
and sharing them with the Botanical Garden`s of the World, all at his own
expense, and his unfortunate death BEFORE he could see the seeds grow and
He will appreciate it.
Again, congrats to all at Selby!!

P.S.   How is the Montrichardia doing??

>Here is a copy of our latest press release. The largest bud is now showing
spathe and spadix through an opening in the outer sheaths and is about 35
inches tall, growing about 3-4 inches per day. Based upon flowering data
Fairchild Tropical Garden and Atlanta Botanical Garden, our largest bud
should be open in about 10-12 days. The smaller may be up to a week later,
we are planning a pollination attempt. Stay tuned to our web site at:

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens
8aa S. Palm Ave.
Sarasota, FL 34236

The Titan arum, or Amorphophallus titanum, considered by some to be
the  worldís largest flower, is rapidly developing its immense bloom at
Gardens.  Sometime during mid-May, this bizarre behemoth of the plant world
will unfold a frilled crimson pleated bud encasing a towering columnar
spadix, rising from the center, ultimately reaching a predicted height of
seven feet or more.  This rare flowering event has only occurred 7 times
during this century in the United States.  It is a true botanical wonder!
Over the next two weeks, the Titan Arum, known only from Sumatra but
a close relative of the more familiar Jack-in-the-Pulpit, will vigorously
unfurl its complex inflorescence composed of hundreds of individual male and
female flowers.  During this time, the bud will grow about 4 inches a day,
but the full flowering will last only 48 hours, afterwards collapsing
dramatically of its own weight.
This event promises even greater titillation than all others of this
kind, as Selby will have TWO of these magnificent monsters in bloom!
all living organisms vary, both plants may not reach their peak flowering on
exactly the same day.  But this lapse of a few days between the critical
point will allow Selbyís horticulturists an unprecedented opportunity to
hand-pollinate one of the plants by transferring pollen from male flowers of
one plant to female flowers of the other.  Never before has the Titan Arum
yielded seeds in cultivation, so this planned attempt, if successful, will
a first!
Visitors can view the flowering giants in the trellis area just
outside the doors of Selbyís Display House, beginning Thursday, May 6, 1999,
from 10 AM to 5 PM daily, until the end of flowering which is predicted to
sometime around May 20-25.  It is not yet certain exactly how long this
amazing display will last, so visitors are advised to call 941-366-2815 for
recorded message with daily progress reports. For images and updates
throughout the flowering event check Selby's web page at: www.selby.org