Re: Amorphophallus titanum flowering at Selby Gardens

On May 11, 10:13pm, Scott Hyndman wrote:
> Subject: Re: Amorphophallus titanum flowering at Selby Gardens

Congratulations to the Selby staff on the upcoming Titan event.....Are
you folks going to be taking photos that can be used to print postcards?

> You asked me some months ago about Am. titanum controlled pollination, so
> here are the essentials on the pollination of your twins.

Thanks for this aritcle on pollinating Amorphs.  I found it very interesting.
I have to disagree with you somewhat.  From my very limited experience of
pollinating Amorphs I have noticed 2 types of pollens.  For the non-amateurs,
I will conitinue this thread in non-technical terms.

Amorphs such as A. paeoniifolius have a yellow, wettish, heavy type of pollen
that is rather difficult to work with.  This type of pollen probably should
be handled as Scott stated.  Amorphs such as A. konjac have a black, dust-like
type of pollen.  I have kept A. konjac pollen in a plastic container in
the refridgerator for 1 year before using it and the results were near 100
percent successful.  I have collected A. konjac pollen in a plastic container
and left it in the greenhouse without a lid on the container for 6 days and
it was still perfectly good.  The greenhouse temps ranged from 45- 80 degrees
within the 6 day period.

If and when my lil titans come into bloom, I'll be following Scott's advice
and hopefully Donna's confirmation on Amorph pollination.

Alan Galloway                                 alan_galloway@ncsu.edu
Computing Services, Information Technology
Campus Box 7109                           http://www4.ncsu.edu/~alan
North Carolina State University                 (phone) 919-515-5483
Raleigh, NC  27695-7109                         (fax)   919-515-3787