Re: Amorphophallus titanum flowering at Selby Gardens

Thanks Alan, for this suggestion. I am sure we will be getting some good
photos, and it will be fairly simple to get some postcards made after the
flowering. I'll let you all know if that happens.

I've had other suggestions, such as one to print up airline courtesy bags
with a statement something like "I survived the Amorphophallus flowering at
Selby Gardens!"...a souvenir for those who are only coming only to be
grossed-out by the smell.

Our "Big Boy" was over 49" (124.5 cm) this morning, Friday May 14, and grew
about 4-5 since yesterday, mostly at night. The more petite bud is 28 inches
(71 cm), and beginning to grow more rapidily now that it is free of the
cataphyll.. The cataphylls have not fallen yet on the larger bud. I noticed
on Fairchild's web site that their cataphylls fell about June 18th, and the
flower opened June 24-25 or so, about 5-6 days later. It looks like Atlanta's
bracts fell around July 2 and the flower was open only 2 or 3 days later. We
are looking at the timing of our flower development and can't quite figure
our opening date, with this amount of variability between those two events. I
guess we can say, once the bracts fall, that we have anywhere from 2-6 more
days to go!

Our web site should have more pictures up today (www.selby.org). We are
putting up a series of photos made starting about 6 days after these plants
broke through the soil. These will be linked to a set of tables with daily
measurements for each plant.

If anyone sees a press report of this event in their local media, I would
certainly appreciate knowing about it.

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens
811 S. Palm Ave.
Sarasota, FL 34236
phone: (941) 954-1237
fax: (941) 366-9807
e-mail: selbyhort@aol.com
Amorphophallus Hotline: (941) 366-2815

<< Donna,
 Congratulations to the Selby staff on the upcoming Titan event.....Are
 you folks going to be taking photos that can be used to print postcards?