Re: A. titanum at Selby - update

We can't move the titanums indoors to do any temperture controls. Right now
they are placed outside under a roof near the exit of our Display House. One
of the things we have struggled with is how to stage these massive plants so
that visitor traffic flow won't be bottlenecked. We really don't have a good
place to display such large plants! Something for all of you who have
potential flowering specimens to think about! We are concerned about night
roaming animals such as racoons and opossums when the plants near peak
flowering and release odors that might attract such critters, so we have 24
hour security keeping watch.

As for the timing of flowering: we can probably successfully store the pollen
for a day or two under controlled conditions. Scott Hyndman provided some
useful notes about this procedure a couple of days ago.

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens

 Dear Aroid-L and Donna,
  Donna Atwood wrote about the double flowering Titanums at Selby Gardens
 - that they would probably flower 3 days apart.
 I have observed informaly that the A. Konjac seems to respond to
 temperature reductions by growing more slowly.  With over a week to go
 and only 3 days apart, would it be possible to shelter / cool the first
 plant a bit and bring their flowering closer to improve chances of a
 Might be worth a try.
 Craig >>