Re: Amorphophallus konjac will bloom!

-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Greenwood <walter@radserv.arad.upmc.edu>
To: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Date: Friday, May 21, 1999 6:19 PM
Subject: Re: Amorphophallus konjac will bloom!

>Gentle readers,

With all due respect and admiration for Mr. Fontanills, the gentleman lives
Miami, for crying out loud!  One can root cuttings in Miami by nailing them
the side of the house that would take me chemicals, exotic media, expensive
metal halide lighting, humidifiers, RO filtration, and weeks of babysitting
in Pennsylvania.  I have to work hard to keep Gonatopus alive.
Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!  (I'm crying out loud.)  I've put off visiting
Florida for 30 years for fear that I would never be able to tear myself away
return home.

Kindest envious regards, and sincere congratulations    ;-)
Walter Greenwood
University of Pittsburgh

>  <<All kidding aside, how do you do it, Luis?  Tell us your secrets.

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur.<

Dear Walter,
I believe that the TRUE significance of Luis' 'feat' may have been lost on
some of us.   A. konjac does NOT like the tropics, and Walter, had you
bloomed it in Pennsylvania, this would not have been notable, as it tends to
thrive growing in the Northern Summers, and commonly blooms there in spring,
whereas it is said to be HELL to grow, far less to bloom in the warm
Southern climes!!!
So weep your heart out up in the 'Artic' of Pennsylvania, Walter,
(KIDDING!), and we hope you will one day join us living in these balmy
climes of S. Florida!!!
Congrats, Lois!!!!  The "KING STINKY' award is yours to share with Reggie
Whitehead for last month, and belongs to Donna`s at Selby for flowering A.
titanum this month!