Re: Amorphophallus Bloomings

-----Original Message-----
From: Regferns@aol.com <Regferns@aol.com>
To: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Date: Thursday, May 20, 1999 10:40 AM
Subject: Amorphophallus Bloomings

>We have our first Amorphophallus lambii blooming currently.  The tuber was
collected in 1996.   It is a spectacular bloom for its first try.

Last week, A. hirsutus also bloomed.  This was the fourth plant to flower
since we collected them in 1997.  The first two were interesting.  One of
these plants put up a inflorescence and a leaf at the same time, the other
plant produced just the inflorescence.  Last year, another plant produced an
average bloom.  This year's plant has produced an impressive inflorescence.
We have not been able to get the blooms to set seed.  However, we are trying
to propagate them by  buds that form in the leaf bract.

Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, Florida<<

Dear Reggie,
Congrats!!!   A. lambii is certainly one of the more spectacular species,
and for those of 'us' who do not know it, you can see it in Aroideana Vol.
19, and for those of you who do NOT have this or other issues of this
excellent annual journal, let this be your 'wake up call' to join the IAS!!!
It`s inflorsence stands at over 3 ft.(!) on a short invisible peduncle!!!
A. hirstitus can also be seen, together with MANY other species in the same
Volume!!
Again Reggie, congrats on a really impressive feat!!
Hope to see you soon!
Sincerely,
Julius
ju-bo@msn.com