Amorphophallus Bloomings

We have our first Amorphophallus lambii blooming currently.  The tuber was
collected in 1996.   It is a spectacular bloom for its first try.

Last week, A. hirsutus also bloomed.  This was the fourth plant to flower
since we collected them in 1997.  The first two were interesting.  One of
these plants put up a inflorescence and a leaf at the same time, the other
plant produced just the inflorescence.  Last year, another plant produced an
average bloom.  This year's plant has produced an impressive inflorescence.
We have not been able to get the blooms to set seed.  However, we are trying
to propagate them by  buds that form in the leaf bract.

Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, Florida