Re: Amorphophallus titanum flowering at Selby Gardens

-----Original Message-----
From: SelbyHort@aol.com <SelbyHort@aol.com>
To: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Date: Friday, May 28, 1999 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: Amorphophallus titanum flowering at Selby Gardens

Dear Donna,
Thanks for keeping 'us' up to date on your twin 'babies', and enjoy the
well-deserved rest!
I`d like to suggest that you keep your eyes on the second and smaller (also
perhaps significantly, much less 'stinky') inflorsence.   It may just yet
give another clue to something I`ve been seeing in some Aroids
(Anaphyllopsis americana, for example), and which has been 'proven' in the
genus Arisaema, which is the ability for a smaller ('weaker'?) plant to
contribute to the gene pool by it`s pollen yet not it`s seed, as it is/may
be unable to provide enough resources to support the development of seed
during the long time it takes for an infructesence to develop.   Even if the
pollenation on the second and smaller inflor. does not 'take', maybe a
portion of the female zone should be preserved in spirit so that the
structure of the female flowers would be available at a later date for
dissection and analysis?   This may all be a moot point, as hopefully you
will see signs of an infructesence developing soon!
Please keep us informed, and again congrats!

The first inflorescence's smell was really undescribably potent during the
opening, but the second one was downright dainty by comparison....Both
started opening late in the afternoon, beginning at almost the same time.
first started opening on Thursday, May 20 at about 3 PM, and continued
expanding til about midnight. The second started opening about 3:30-4 PM on
Monday, May 24 and was fully expanded by about 11 PM. We pollinated this
second inflor. late on the night of the 24th, when the females were most

I will send an update posting after I have had some sleep and can gather my
thoughts. We are all terribly sleep deprived here and just moved both
titanums back into the greenhouses this morning and tucked them into bed.
we are all going home to crash. Two Titanums flowering at the same time is
almost more than a person can endure! I guess now I know what its like to
have twins!

More soon,