Re: Amorphophallus titanum flowering at Selby Gardens

Les,

The first inflorescence's smell was really undescribably potent during the
opening, but the second one was downright dainty by comparison....Both
started opening late in the afternoon, beginning at almost the same time. The
first started opening on Thursday, May 20 at about 3 PM, and continued
expanding til about midnight. The second started opening about 3:30-4 PM on
Monday, May 24 and was fully expanded by about 11 PM. We pollinated this
second inflor. late on the night of the 24th, when the females were most
receptive.

I will send an update posting after I have had some sleep and can gather my
thoughts. We are all terribly sleep deprived here and just moved both
titanums back into the greenhouses this morning and tucked them into bed. Now
we are all going home to crash. Two Titanums flowering at the same time is
almost more than a person can endure! I guess now I know what its like to
have twins!

More soon,
Donna

<<
 Donna, I find this description of the stench interesting.  The folks in
Miami &
 Atlanta both described their bloom's odor to be disappointingly mild.  Do you
 have any idea what accounts for the overwhelming nature of the odor in the
Selby
 inflorescence?

 (Actually, I find the draw to the odor much like the Saturday Night Live skit
 that showed a family passing a jug of milk around so that all could
experience
 how foul it had become.)
             Les