Re: callas, Z. aethiopica in particular

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: callas, Z. aethiopica in particular
  • From: "George R Stilwell, Jr." <grsjr@juno.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:27:18 -0600 (CST)

Steve,

I looked up the notes and it was called 'Hercules Brother' because Dan
wasn't positive that it was 'Hercules'. I was hoping for a 6' specimen,
would settle for 4', but actually got 1.5'.

I'll keep you in mind if I find sources for the species. I'd rather grow
the species than the hybrids,
but I must admit the ones we got from Oregon Bulbs are spectacular.

All of my Zantedeschia are growing outdoors (N. Carolina) and, except for
aethiopica insisting
on growing in late fall/early winter, I've had no problems. They even
seem to thrive in the heavy
NC clay.

The oldest patch of aethiopica is 4 years old. Every year it gets to
looking like cooked spinach
in mid-winter. I just cut it back and then it seems willing to wait for
spring. However, this fall
it's a bit on the short side. We have been in the longest drought in NC
recorded history.
I don't expect it'll bloom this fall/winter. Hopefully it'll be back next
spring in better shape.

Ray
GRSJr@Juno.com

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!