Re: callas, Z. aethiopica in particular

Ray,

I was about to mention Z. a. 'Hercules' myself; several of us obtained
plants a year or so back (I'm at work, can't check the date) in a group
order. I see you mention 'Hercules Brother' - is that the correct name for
this cultivar, or another? And what is the description you have for it?

So far my only experience with it is that it does seem more robust that
the usual Z. a. It hasn't reached anything like the exceptional size it's
said to be capable of, but that could be either youth or my zone 6
conditions. I generally leave all Zantedeschias outdoors here, and they
seem quite hardy (Z. rehmannii is a bit iffy), but I did bring a couple in
this year. As I feared, it looks like they will remain in active growth
and the growth will be weak because of the lower light levels.

The best here are about any of the large yellow-flowered hybrids. They
come up when the weather warms up, flower well, are well-behaved about
going dormant in the fall, and never try to resume growth during a warm
spell in January.

If you do find sources of any of the other species, please count me as
interested.

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu