Re: callas, Z. aethiopica in particular

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: callas, Z. aethiopica in particular
  • From: "George R Stilwell, Jr." <grsjr@juno.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:25:07 -0600 (CST)

'Tis a puzzlement! I'm growing  Z. 'Green Goddess'  and  Z 'Marshmallow'
but I haven't had the latter long enough to comment on it. The former is
a yawn for me.
I haven't found Z. aethiopica 'Childsiana' or  'Pink Mist' yet. But I
have what is supposed to be
Z. a. 'Hercules Brother' which I got from Dan Levin. But, the plants I
don't even remotely resemble the description of this selection.

There certainly is no shortage of hybrids. One problem with Z. aethiopica
here is that it
insists on growing in winter even though the frost whacks it every year.
I realize that
winter is it's normal growing season in South Africa, but they don't have

The other species are well behaved and go to bed in the winter.
Perhaps that's why most of the hybrids are not  of aethiopica origin.

If you're interested in the hybrids, do check out the Oregon Coastal Bulb
Co, a wholesale importer.
I think
will get you there. Jeanne Hannah got a group order together for us and
some of their hybrids
are really spectacular.

I've also been seeking a source for the less well known species. I've
tried several nurseries
in South Africa and Kirstenbosch with only one success. Rechel Saunders
of Silver Hill Seeds did find some Z. pentlandii seed for me and Welland
Cowley,  Cape Flora, will supply Zantedeschia pentlandii tubers in August
at $215.00 per 100 mature tubers http://ftp.iafrica.com/c/ca/capeflor/.

However, not a sign of the more interesting species like Z.  jucunda, Z.
odorata, and Z. valida.
Rechel did say the habitat for Z. odorata is being destroyed at a really
rapid rate for farming.
She has some plants growing, but not enough seed to sell yet.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!