Help - premature Amorphophallus dormancy!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Help - premature Amorphophallus dormancy!
  • From: Walter Greenwood <walterg@nauticom.net>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:21:19 -0600 (CST)

This summer was unusually cool in western Pennsylvania, and most of my
Amorphophallus got off to a rather late start.  Then, as if to add injury to
insult, we were whipped last week with several nights in the mid teens (F).  I
had brought most of the plants in for safekeeping, but did not have time or
space to get them all under cover.  Most of them had not yet gone dormant, and
the foliage was frozen.  The bulbs have dead, wet stems attached that won't
detach gracefully, so I am cutting them off pretty close.  What else should I do
to increase their chances of survival through the winter?