Sender: "Jay Vannini" <interbnk@terra.com.gt>
Subject:  Apomicts

Dear Jim:

Sorry for muddying the waters even further on this issue, but I was trying
to clarify that apomicts "spontaneously" generate ovules, ergo, may generate
seed without having been self-pollinated, cross-pollinated, etc. I accept
that my post was less than clear on this.

Again, I find it interesting that, in Anthurium papillilaminum at least, one
may cross-pollinate two presumably unrelated plants and that the plant in
stigmatic phase will accept pollen from its conspecific, and that, in my
experience, manual pollination appears to "short-circuit" apomictic seed set
further up the spadix. The morphological variation amongst individual plants
suggests that this trait is far from being able to be described in absolute
terms. I'm afraid one might easily fall into the "what constitutes a
species" trap with this.

And in another, "DUH!" yesterday, hopefully the product of sleep
deprivation, I overlooked a number of well-known apomictic indigenous
Anthurium, i.e. A. bakeri, A. gracile, etc. in my mail.

Regards,

Jay