Fw: Philodendron santa leopoldina

  • Subject: Fw: Philodendron santa leopoldina
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:01:38 -0600 (CST)

This is the letter concerning how seed production just may increase the
genetic variability of this plant in the U.S.A.   This was done a while ago
before I considered that there are other different collections in Brazil.
Someone with more and better knowledge of how genetics actually work is
needed to comment on my drivel!

>>Of course the ideal situation would be to have available for us to 'work'
with  two or even more different clones/collections, and I am NOT an expert
at genetics, BUT---let us consider and discuss this--- even if the two
plants used are in fact clones/cuttings from the SAME plant that were made
in Brazil, IF we manage to pollinate a bloom on one plant with pollen from a
flower from a second cutting from the SAME plant, genetic variability will
occur among the (hopefully !) hundreds of sibling seedlings, they would be
'brothers and sisters', but would differ one from the other ALMOST as much
as my brother differs from me, for example (the difference would be because
the two plants are from the same 'mother plant', while my brother and me are
produced from two genetically different individuals).   We could then work
at choosing individual plants that appear more 'different' one from the
other, to say
two seedlings that may look more LIKE one another, and so when we use these
for further breeding, we might maintain the genetic variability of this
unique and remember, ALMOST extinct species!   I certainly do NOT claim to
have all or even some of the complex answers, but whatever we may choose to
attempt with actual pollination for seed production  MUST be better than
tissue culture, which we KNOW will only produce exact clones of the
tissue-donner 'mother' plant!

Do you know where the plants that used to belong to a member in California
now are??   Maybe THESE are from a different collection!?? ?  As I said,
someone really needs to start a record, a 'stud book' as it were, of
ALL the known plants of this species outside Brazil, I`d do it IF someone
were to give me the necessary inf..

For your idea to work, don't you need two clones of P. s-l?  All of the
plants in the USA came from one collection...  Bette Waterbury told us a
story and Tom confirmed it that says all of the plants...  yes,all of
them...  came from two cuttings that were taken from one plant on her trip
to Rio...  So, if two clones are needed..  You don't have two...  only

A Friend