RE: non-aroid question Warszewiczia

  • Subject: RE: non-aroid question Warszewiczia
  • From: "Craig Allen" <callen@fairchildgarden.org>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:02:16 -0600 (CST)

Warszewiczia coccinea is the one most people grow.
Family: Rubiaceae
This species is an upright, tall, red flowering large shrub or small tree
found in Central to South America and the W. Indies.
It likes moisture and acid soils. It is very cold tender. The ones I saw in
the Rainforests of Costa Rica were very impressive. In the under story
situation they had grown to 30' and their brilliant red bracts could be seen
for long distances. It can be rooted by cuttings, but not easily.
Air-layering is probably the surest method of reproduction.

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager

Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road