back from brazil

  • Subject: back from brazil
  • From: Piabinha@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:41:40 -0600 (CST)

hi all,

i'm back from a 3-week trip to brazil's southeastern states.  it was a great trip to visit both the 'campos rupestres' (a rocky, hilly, semi-arid terrain typical of brazil's east coast) and the atlantic rainforest.  i also got to finally meet edu gonçalves and see his amazing aroid collection, in sao paulo, where edu continues to work on his doctoral dissertation.  in the 'campos rupestres', we saw some xerophytical Anthurium and Philodendrons.  in the atlantic rainforest, we saw many Philo. and Anth. too, but also some tuberous aroids such as Asterostigma and Taccarum, including a new giant species (that edu will describe, i understand), a true brazilian amorphophallus.  we also visited mr. roberto kautsky's estate in espirito santo, who discovered this giant Taccarum, as well as over 100 plants of the atlantic rainforest (in his shadehouse, i also saw the famous Philo. spiritus-sancti).  another highlight was to visit the burle-marx estate for the 2nd time, and it is in much better shape than 2 years ago.  if you are ever in rio de janeiro, you should not miss an opportunity to visit their amazing aroid collection, which includes wonderful specimens of many Philodendrons, Anthurium, Alocasia, Cyrtosperma, Typhonodorum and the amazing Montrichardias growing as tall as bamboo.

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA