Re: Michele damage?

  • Subject: Re: Michele damage?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:16:23 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: Don Burns <donburns@macconnect.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 9:39 PM

>Hmmm... Are you sure it is not caused by sand starvation caused by jetties
>and revetments upcurrent?  Or maybe development on former dune systems?

<<Certainly building on the beach has something to do with how the damage
manifests itself. No question about it. But the fact is that many areas of
the beaches that are close to virgin are badly damaged also.>>

Dear Don,

In other parts of the world, 'virgin' beaches wax and wane, they re-nourish
themselves as the seasons dictate, but when walls, jetties, etc. are built
along the Florida coast as if the beaches are EXPECTED to 'behave' to stay
static, is when it becomes an exercise in futility, and tax payers
hard-earned dollars are LITERALLY 'cast upon the waters' in the form of
'beach re-nourishment' which lasts till the next high tide w/ waves!!
Perhaps these close-to-virgin beaches around the State of Florida and
elsewhere  that are damaged will manage, as nature has always accomplished,
in re-nourishing themselves this time, in fact I`ll almost bet on it!