[Fwd: Philodendron santa leopoldina]

  • Subject: [Fwd: Philodendron santa leopoldina]
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 18:54:43 -0600 (CST)

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron santa leopoldina
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 16:02:13 -0500
Dear Aroiders:

Santa leopoldiana could not ever be a mass produced plant for K-Mart or
Home Depot gardens centers. It would cost too much and it has value only
as a collectible to someone who knows plants. If it were to be done(If
it could be done)it would probably be very slow to grow in bottles and
slow to grow in pots and at best be limited to 1000 or less units of
production. No real production nursery would even want this slow-slow,
spindly ugly duckling of a Phily. There is no way to justify the bench
space being tied up for so long.

But of course that's not stopped me from filling up 4 (6 x 92 foot)
benches with collectible stuff (some of dubious quality) for
breeding/propagation purposes.  I'd do it just to say we tried if we can
find a lab to take on the project.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens,
Homestead Florida