Re: Philodendron santa leopoldina

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron santa leopoldina
  • From: "john s. smolowe" <johnsmolowe@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:19:41 -0600 (CST)

I emailed Oglesby tissue culture and got the following recommendation of Venkatesh Krishnamurthy from them. Hope it's helpful. By the way, specialty nurseries like Tropiflora and Glasshouse Works perhaps might also want a few.

Dear Dr. Smolowe,
       Thank you for your interest in our tissue culture service.  I view the web page and it is a very interesting Philo.
        As a commercial laboratory it is not cost effective or practical for us to do a few hundred plants.  I can highly recommend Venky at 863-465-0184 (Lake Placid, Florida).
       He owns a company that does a lot of specialty products.  He has done work for us, is very trust worthy and is familiar with Philo tissue culture.
       Gary Hennen
       Oglesby Plants International, Inc.

Denis wrote:

Dear Joe:

At this time  there are too many variables involved with this project to
even anticipate the price. We should cross that bridge after there is
actual production tissue in the bottles. To me getting viable tissue
growing and multiplying in vitro is the first step and most critical
problem if we can find a willing TC lab to do the work. Certainly if it
can be tissue cultured they will be available to members...who else
would know enough to want one besides the people who hang out on