Amorphophallus characteristics

  • Subject: Amorphophallus characteristics
  • From: StroWi@t-online.de (StroWi)
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:20:34 -0600 (CST)

Aroiders,

I am interested in Amorphophallus spec. with the combination of the following
charateristics:

1) high ornamental value (mainly) of the leaf
(yes, I know: to ANY aroider EVERY Amorph. has a high ornamental value ;-))
(yes, I know, too, that mainly florescences are of interest to an aroider; but I
would like to enjoy the look of the plant in its vegetative phase as well; and
aren't some of them rather boring in the vegatative state???
(:o) Lord P., foregive my basphemy against your beloved (plant) children.... )

2) no or poor offset growth

3) rare or poor or low seeds set

O.K., to me A. titanum may meet these points.

A. atrovirides seems to have a very nice leaf, but does it grow offsets readily?

A. pendulus seems to have a very nice patterning of the leaf, too, at least
after the pictures in the species list of aroid.org. Somewhere else I saw a
picture of A. pendulus with a pale green leaf. Is  there such a variation in the
leaf patterning in A. pendulus?

It's hard to find pictures of many of the Amorph. spec., so I thought I could
get some opinions from you.
(And even the pictures I found don't tell about the offsets.....)

Looking forward to any comment,

Bernhard.
Dollbergen, Germany
approx. zone 6/7