RE: Amorphophallus characteristics

  • Subject: RE: Amorphophallus characteristics
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:29:04 -0600 (CST)

> Aroiders,
> I am interested in Amorphophallus spec. with the combination
> of the following
> charateristics:
> 1) high ornamental value (mainly) of the leaf
> (yes, I know: to ANY aroider EVERY Amorph. has a high
> ornamental value ;-))
> (yes, I know, too, that mainly florescences are of interest
> to an aroider; but I
> would like to enjoy the look of the plant in its vegetative
> phase as well; and
> aren't some of them rather boring in the vegatative state???
> (:o) Lord P., foregive my basphemy against your beloved
> (plant) children.... )

You are (barely) excused...........

> 2) no or poor offset growth
> 3) rare or poor or low seeds set
> O.K., to me A. titanum may meet these points.

I find the leaf of titanum rather boring. The real ornamental ones are:

- A. bufo (no offsets)
- A. manta (no offsets)
- A. pendulus (no offsets, no growth either............sob, sob, sob).
- A. venustus (no offsets, no plant anaywhere either)
- A. atroviridis (no offsets)
- A. cruddasianus (no offsets)
- A. saururus (divides easily by itself)
- A. pygmaeus (divides easily by itself)
- A. scutatus (no offsets)
- A. dracontioides (offsets)
- A. aphyllus (offsets)
- A. pusillus (variegated clones) (divides easily by itself)
- A. obscurus (variegated clones) (divides easily by itself)
- A. napiger (no offsets)
- A. laoticus (no offsets)
- Pseudodracontium lacourii (variegated clones) (divides easily by itself)
- P. harmandii (variegated clones) (divides easily by itself)

Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.........

> A. atrovirides seems to have a very nice leaf, but does it
> grow offsets readily?

No, it doesn't. You'd have to break the tuber. It does produce seeds well
when you hand pollinate but that goes for all Amorphophallus. Once the
pollination was succesful, you'll get a whole load of seeds (except in the
dwarf species). Not all pollinations succeed though.

> A. pendulus seems to have a very nice patterning of the leaf,
> too, at least
> after the pictures in the species list of aroid.org.
> Somewhere else I saw a
> picture of A. pendulus with a pale green leaf. Is  there such
> a variation in the
> leaf patterning in A. pendulus?

The variegation may be strong or less so, but also cultivation circumstances
greatly influence this character. When pendulus is doing o.k., you have that
fine leaf but usually pendulus does NOT do well and you have that pale

> It's hard to find pictures of many of the Amorph. spec., so I
> thought I could
> get some opinions from you.
> (And even the pictures I found don't tell about the offsets.....)

I will promise (as I have done to Scott Hyndman a loooong time ago) that I
will put all available Amorph pics on the IAS website one of these days.
There are hundreds, so you'll have a LOT of fun.