Re: Extinction & Loss of Habitat

  • Subject: Re: Extinction & Loss of Habitat
  • From: "Phil Bunch" <pbunch@cts.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:23:10 -0600 (CST)

I have not read the book you mention. I suspect that humans will
continue for quite some time, perhaps not at the same level of
"development" we currently "enjoy" but we are a highly adaptable
species. The mass extinction problem will almost certainly get worse.
It may be that if we are careful and wiser than we appear to be there
will be refugia from which a fair amount of the extant DNA will

I do suspect however that some of the habitats we are forming will be
around for a very long time. Rats appear to be good candidates for
continued evolution, as long as there are enough humans to provide for
their needs in teh short term. Insects of course are very good at the
"numbers game" and we should expect plenty of new forms to develop.
Among the plants I would expect to see plenty Poaceae, Asteraceae, and
a few other families that have many "weedy species."

Phil Bunch