Re: Extinction & Loss of Habitat

  • Subject: Re: Extinction & Loss of Habitat
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:07:51 -0600 (CST)

In a message dated Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:12:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Phil Bunch" <pbunch@cts.com> writes:

> In fact since we consider these new habitats to be ours, much of what
> evolves will be seen as weeds or pests.  We just barely stay ahead of
> the species we don't like.

Are you familiar with the book _After_Man_?  It is quite fanciful, of course, as it conjectrures what new species will/may evolve on earth after our extinction (in fact, some seem downright implausible); but the writer/artist did have many of his imagined future species evolve from rodents and other current pests, since these are most likely to survive the age of man.  His predatory "rats" were especially believable -- in the absence of carnivorous megafauna, rats likely would seize upon the opportunity.