Anchomanes seeds available

  • Subject: Anchomanes seeds available
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:43:01 -0600 (CST)

Peoples,

We have succeeded in Leiden in pollinating two inflorescences of Anchomanes
dalzielii.

Anchomanes WHO???? This is a species from western Africa, with a thick
creeping rhizome, a bright green spathe, large stigmas that are almost
sessile on the centre of the ovary and with red fruits. This can all be seen
on a few scans that I have asked Scott Hyndman to put on the IAS website.
When that has been done, I hope Scott will inform this list, so you can have
a peek.

The leaflets of A. dalzielii are also very broad. The differences with forms
of An. difformis (which goes in collections still under all kind of false
names like An. hookeri, An, giganteum etc.) are that An. difformis has the
spathe dark maroon or pink or colours in-between, stigmas small, placed in
the lower part of the ovary-tip, fruits purple.

In the literature An. dalzielii has often been misidentified as An.
welwitschii but that name in fact stands for a form of An. difformis, that
was once also known as An. difformis var. welwitschii, which in my opinion
is the correct classification/name. In An. difformis var. welwitschii one
can see the typical excentrically placed stigma, typical of An. difformis.
The main difference is that in var. welwitschii the stigma is almost sessile
(not much of a style present). Our clones in Leiden of var. welwitschii also
have pink spathes. As in typical difformis the berries of var. welwitschii
are purple.

I do seem to remember I wrote a few lines on these Anchomanes
name-confusions a long while back but I guess you can find that in the
archives.

If you are interested in seed(s), please send your request to my email
adress and
DON'T USE THE REPLY KEY WITH THIS MESSAGE. Mail to hetter@worldonline.nl and
please, DO INCLUDE THE ADDRESS WE CAN SEND THE SEEDS TO EVEN WHEN YOU THINK
I ALREADY HAVE IT. Depending on the number of request you either get a lot,
or less, or a lot less or zilch........... But I guess we have enough for
quite some requests.

Cheerio,
Lord Anchophallus