Re: Alocasia metalica

  • Subject: Re: Alocasia metalica
  • From: "Clarence Hammer" <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 15:17:24 -0600 (CST)

Hello John.   By metallica, I assume you're referencing  what I know as A.
plumbea Dark Form.  Altho I grow mine in bright shade, I have seen it in
full sun many times and perfectly happy.  These have seemed to be a bit
lighter (bleached?) than those in shade.  I think an ideal situation would
be full morning sun and bright shade afternoon.  My main concern about your
beach location is the wind.  Also a possible problem with the salt air,
which here on the Atlantic is a major consideration.  However, the water at
your Calif location may be quieter, and not produce so much airborn salt.

If I were you, my preference would be the inland location.  Incidently,
plumbea Green Form is beautiful also,
and grows to the same size.  The top of the leaf is a bit lighter green,
with a lavender metallic reverse.  Petioles are creamy tan with brown dots
and flecks thruout.  Petioles in good light can be pinkish, which adds to
its beauty.

Russ
Central Florida