Re: Heating tables and anything else

  • Subject: Re: Heating tables and anything else
  • From: "Plantsman" <plantsman@prodigy.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:07:03 -0600 (CST)

I sell commercial heat tracing cables among other things as my day
job and have several concerns after having looked over the Duran

1. Of all the heat tracing cables I'm familiar with, none heat via
this "carbon fiber" method.  All are resistance heaters of three
basic types: self-limiting, constant watt and mineral insulated.
All work very differently but all are resistance heaters employing
wires as either the primary heating element or bus wires to carry
voltage across a matrix.

2. These people show no real specs that an engineer could use to
specify the quantities of materials needed for an application.  The
vague description about using any voltage type & etc. are scary at
best.  Most cables are not designed to be buried underground unless
in conduit due to the possibility of electric shock should there be
a grounding problem if the cable is damaged.   Most so-called soil
heating cables are very dangerous unless you use a quality GFCI in
case of damage while energized.  They also typically don't last all
that long.

3. Duran cables carry no FM or CSA approvals.  The only approval
they show is a UL listing for one of the insulation materials.
Scary at best.  I see insurance problems...

4. They offer no clue as to how to fabricate a circuit.

5. Real heat tracing cables have a decent output: 3 watts on up to
over 20 watts per foot with 120VAC depending upon the cable selected
for the application.   Low wattage like Duran means more cable
needed to achieve a desired heating effect.

6. Real heat tracing cables are expensive due to the extensive
testing, certification and liability by the manufacturer.
Industrial cables generally start at $3.00 per foot and don't
include the price of required accessories such as thermostats, power
connection and end termination kits & etc.

I'd be very leery of their method without much more detailed
information and or test data.  If you want to see more detailed info
about how the heavy duty commercial/industrial/residential cables
work, please visit this website:  http://www.delta-therm.com

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN (Zone 6a)