Re: [aroid-l] Biocontrol (originally fusarium)

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Biocontrol (originally fusarium)
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@arachne.uark.edu
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:51:08 -0600 (CST)

With a bit of spare time around the holiday, I'm going back to a note of
Harry Bryant's on Oct. 25 of this year, on the possible use of biocontrols
- using one microorganism to control another - against such things as

Harry mentioned Agraquest, which also caught my interest as I've been
watching them. They market a wide-spectrum biofungicide, Serenade (also
mentioned by Harry).

One of things that jumped out at me back when I was going through the data
on Serenade was the mention of a uromyces species. Arisaema growers will
take interest because a uromyces, U. aris-triphylla, is responsible for
arisaema rust. This particular species is not mentioned, but I wouldn't
expect it to be - it's not a large scale pest and would not have been
tested. Given the wide activity of Serenade, and the lack of effectiveness
of any other treatment so far for arisaema rust, it seems well worth a

It's on my to-do list, but then so are thousands of other things.

Has anyone else had any hands-on experience with Serenade or similar
biocontrol products? If so, how would you rate them for ease of use,
effectiveness, etc?

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu