Re: [aroid-l] juvenile vs. adult

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] juvenile vs. adult
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:43:48 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Deni Bown <deni@yaxhampark.co.uk>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 6:01 AM

Hello Deni!

Good to hear your 'voice'.
Just a point, but I had quite a conversation w/ Peter Boyce some time ago
about the correct name for the 'common pothos' which you report to be
Epipremium aureum.   Peter explained the this vari. plant had been REFERED
to the species  E. aureum, as the cultivated plant  resembled the
herb. specimens of wild-collected E. aureum, but that he had never felt
totally 'comfortable' with that determination.   He went on to say that he
was pretty excited as he believed that he had just found the TRUE source of
the
cultivated plant, some remote Island in Indonesia I believe.   This wild
plant was  a GOOD match for the cultivated plant, was NOT E. aurium, and he
intended to describe it as a new species.

Hope that things go well for you!    STILL enjoying my copy of 'Aroids'!

Best Wishes,

Julius Boos.

>>By chance, in connection with some updating of a garden plant encyclopedia
I'm currently working on, I have had some recent communications over the
correct name for the heart-leafed philodendron. According to Tom Croat, it's
Philodendron hederaceum. All other names (P. cordatum, P. oxycardium, P.
scandens) are synonyms. The reference for this is:

Croat, T. 1997. A Revision of Philodendron subgenus Philodendron (Araceae)
for Mexico and Central America. Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 84: 314-704.

Also, the correct name for common pothos is Epipremnum aureum.

On the subject of juvenile and adult leaf shapes, may I recommend Michael
Madison's Revision of Monstera - interesting explanations and diagrams. I
thought this was once published in Aroideana but maybe I'm wrong.

Deni Bown