Re: [aroid-l] Silver leaf Philo (hastatum?) blooming - pics

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Silver leaf Philo (hastatum?) blooming - pics
  • From: "Cassia M. Sakuragui" cmsakura@uem.br
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:10:35 -0200
  • Disposition-notification-to: "Cassia M. Sakuragui"

Dear Eugene,
    Sorry I was out of the discussion about P. hastatum but as I have done
some studies on this species I felt confortable to send  a description from
a paper on P. hastatum (nomenclature) by Simon Mayo and myself ( in print at
the moment). By the way, I wouldn't say that  P. hastatum could present the
variation you mentioned.
All the best, Cassia Sakuragui.
Description based on examined material (herbaria):
    Hemiepiphyte. Stem: internodes 1.5-8 cm long. Leaf: prophyll 18-25.5 cm
long, pale green, glossy; petiole 13.5-46 cm long; blade 20-45 x 7-15 cm,
narrowly ovate to triangular ovate, chartaceous, dark green on the adaxial
surface, pale green on the abaxial surface, semiglossy to glossy, rounded to
subacute at apex, sagittate at base, anterior lobe 25.5-32 x 7-15 cm,
posterior lobes 5-11 x 6-10 cm, sinus arcuate, basal veins 3 per side, with
1  free to the base, 2 coalesced for 6-8 mm; posterior rib naked for 3-4 cm;
primary lateral veins 6-7 per side, minor veins inconspicuous.
Inflorescence: one per axil, peduncle 5.5-4.5 cm long; spathe 8.5-12.5 cm
long, ovate, white externally, greenish cream internally; spadix 7.5-12 cm
long, staminate zone 3-6 cm long, cream, sterile zone 0.5-1 cm long, white,
pistillate  zone 3.5-4.5 cm long, greenish. Flower: stamen 1-1.2 x 0.8-1 mm;
staminode 2-4 x 1-2 mm; gynoecium 1-1.5 x 0.8-1 mm, ovate, ovary 5-6
locular, 2-5 ovules per locule, placentation subbasal. Berry (young):
1.5-2.5 x 1-1.5 mm, pear shaped; seed 0.8-1 mm long, ellipsoid.