Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus vulgaris size & coloring Q's

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus vulgaris size & coloring Q's
  • From: "danny wilson" mudwasp_@hotmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:38:40 -0800

Hey man,
Thanks for the info.  Great to hear from an experienced grower.  I love them just as much as you do and CANT wait till the day they all open at the same time.  All of mine are only solid green leaved, no white at all really.  Ill have to see what this year brings, its always something new.  Thanks again for the info, and the answer to the question: "How many dragon arums does a yard actually need?", the sky is the limit (or in my case the top of the fence).  Happy growing and happy halloween!  hope to hear from you again soon
-Danny Wilson

>From: "C. J. Addington"
>Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus vulgaris size & coloring Q's
>Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:16:57 -0800
>
>on 10/29/03 21:00, danny wilson at mudwasp_@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>Hey everyone!
>Alright, ive been growing D. vulgaris for a year or so now. After looking
>at literally hundreds of pictures of them i madesome observations on mine
>and wondered: In most pictured ive seen the leaves have white veins, mine
>dont, anyone know why?
>Exactly how big do these guys get? Ive heard everything from 2 feet to 6
>feet. For the whole plant i mean, not just the flower.
>Does anyone know where i can get a white form tuber/seed(s)? Any info would
>be awsome.
>Thanks again everyone and have a great day/evening!
>P.S. Does anyone have an extremely large/old tuber of D. vulgaris they want
>to get rid of? I would be very interested in taking it off your hands :)
>

>Hi Danny and Everyone!
> Dracunculus plants, like many aroids, are highly variable when it comes
>to both height and leaf patterning. Within my own collection, I have plants
>with prominent white chevron patterns all over the leaves, as well as plants
>with no trace of white at all, just a flat green. Their final height also
>varies widely. Some will bloom on a short, stubby stalk no more than a
>couple of feet tall, while others tower up as high as a grown man (mine are
>usually in the 3 foot range). Sometimes the bloom stands very erect and
>upright, more often it reflexes back and lies nearly horizontal. Sometimes
>the bloom is darkly purplish-red, other times it's a rosy pink color, or
>more rarely closer to a dusky tinged white. I have one particular clone that
>doesn't even make a spathe when it blooms, just a naked spadix with a tiny
>ring of wrinkled purple flesh at its base. ( I'm tempted to name it "Lady
>Godiva" or something else equally ridiculous and sell it for big bucks to
>other Drac-freaks!)
> Basically, this is a wide-spread species with a lot of genetic
>variability, and many different forms. The fact that people grow it under
>many different conditions ( sunny vs. shade, acid soil vs. alkaline, etc.)
>probably enhances its natural variability as well. Overall, they all smell
>horrific, and are all great fun to grow. These are one of my favorite winter
>plants, and I am currently growing way too many of the things. One year they
>will all bloom simultaneously, and my neighbors will force me to reconsider
>just how many Dragon Arums a yard really needs! Until then I keep planting
>and nurturing my stinky kids.
> Have fun with them!
>
>CJ Addington
>Citrus Heights, CA

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy patented spam control and more. Get two months FREE!