Re: [aroid-l] Spathiphyllum 'Alfa'

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Spathiphyllum 'Alfa'
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid (prive)" hetter@worldonline.nl
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:16:23 +0100

May I add my 2 cents of scepticism in matters of cultivar parentage........
I think the quest for parentage in modern cultivars in hybrid complexes is a
futile excercise. Most of this kind of knowledge is part of the industrial
secret of companies who produce these CULTA, NOT TAXA, TOM CROAT!!........
:-), or did you forget my presentation in St. Louis some 7 years
ago...........?

It will always be speculation as to what parentage is involved, unless e.g.
DNA-methods would unequivocally answer this question. But hybridisation also
brings perturbation of the genome and this may well blur the issue
definitively. Also, when older litarature on hybridisation is available, one
must always question to the correct use of names of parental species to the
point that species mentioned were often not even species themselves to begin
with (quite some Linnean species names do actually represent ancient
cultivars and are never found in the wild).

So, Ron and others, what is the drive behind this parentage quest? Pure
human inquisitiveness? Or does it have a purpose?

Cheerio,

Lord P.