Re: [aroid-l] Hybrids and doubling chromosomes

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Hybrids and doubling chromosomes
  • From: "C. J. Addington" cjaddington@earthlink.net
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:33:30 -0800

on 11/21/03 15:23, Brian Williams at pugturd@alltel.net wrote:

> I am interested in hearing if anyone has been doing hybrid work with any
> Aroids. Extremly interested in the storing of pollen in freezers or
> other ways. Would be interested in exact temps time periods and results.
>
> I have also heard of Hybrid amorphophallus though never seen a pic.
> Does this thing exist and if so why is their no info or pics of it. I
> understand the botanist point of view but from a collectors its very
> interesting.
>
> Last but not least has anyone tried chromosome doubling? Using chemicals
> on aroids like Colchincine? I have been reading up on it. It seems very
> interesting. Has anyone ever tried or working with this or other types
> of chemicals to produce tetraploids?
>
> THANKS

Hi Brian!
    I have successfully pollinated Dracunculus using frozen pollen, so I
know it can survive the freezing. I just put pollen-coated carrion beetles
in a clean glass jar and covered it with foil. When I later dump the frozen
beetles into freshly opened blooms, they set seed quite well. I have only
stored the pollen for a couple of weeks, waiting for a good bloom to open,
so I am not sure how long the pollen would last. I would think that if you
kept it dry and didn't subject it to fluctuating temperatures, it should
last quite a long time.

CJ Addington