[aroid-l] Hybrids and doubling chromosomes

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Hybrids and doubling chromosomes
  • From: Brian Williams pugturd@alltel.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:23:27 -0500

I am interested in hearing if anyone has been doing hybrid work with any Aroids. Extremly interested in the storing of pollen in freezers or other ways. Would be interested in exact temps time periods and results.

I have also heard of Hybrid amorphophallus though never seen a pic. Does this thing exist and if so why is their no info or pics of it. I understand the botanist point of view but from a collectors its very interesting.

Last but not least has anyone tried chromosome doubling? Using chemicals on aroids like Colchincine? I have been reading up on it. It seems very interesting. Has anyone ever tried or working with this or other types of chemicals to produce tetraploids?

THANKS