Re: [aroid-l] Hybrids and doubling chromosomes

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Hybrids and doubling chromosomes
  • From: plantguy@zoominternet.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:50:32 -0500

Hi Brian,

Sounds like an interesting project.  We use colchicine all the time to
disrupt microtubules and look at their role in vesicular trafficking of ion
channels in my lab, but I never before looked into it in terms of plants.
After reading your post and then a few articles I guess I'd say what the
heck, it's so easy why not give it a whirl.  Obviously, all you'd need is
enough seed/plant material to try many concentrations and various time
points.  I would caution that if you don't know what your doing with toxins
like this it wouldn't be a wise choice.  Hopefully you have a good
analytical balance and a hood for working with these types of compounds.  If
you're planning on using DMSO as a carrier I'd hope you would double
glove....better safe than sorry.  Perhaps this would be a fun project for
next spring in the lab.  It will be interesting to see what others familiar
with plant cell biology have to say!

Dan Devor