[Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?
  • From: RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:55:15 EST

This seems to be a VERY hardy plant for me, and I would expect it to be the most hardy of the Colocasia?  I usually leave mine in the ground during the winter but always dig up a few bulbs just in case.  Last year I accidentally left a bulb uncovered and exposed in one of the beds and didnt notice it until spring.  Suprisingly, along with all of the others that normally come back like gangbusters...it survived.  Our lowest temp recorded at my house last winter was 20F.  While it was a relatively dry and mild winter, it still suprised me that the bulb took ice, snow and numerous deep freezes and still managed to stay alive.  I am in the Upstate area of South Carolina, borderline 7b-8a, but would expect this plant to be hardy in much colder regions, possibly 6a?
Thanks, happy holidays,
Michael Mattlage
Aroid-l mailing list