Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?
  • From: "David S." <maui4me@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:40:58 -0500

I have from what all indications are C. gigantea growing outdoors here in NE
Tennessee, right on the Virginia state line.  I've had it for over ten years
and generally just mulch it heavily with leaves.  It seems to do just fine
and has made it through a couple of winters without mulch, although it's
very slow to come up and not as large the following year.  Mine have in
years past taken on an almost fountain growth habit, with the fairly large
leaves forming a cupped shape and extending out horizontally.  They are
interesting when it rains and they fill up and then dump the water, sort of
like one of those bamboo fountains.  They have flowered in the years they've
gotten big, with multiple spathes forming in a fan shape.

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN (Zone 6a)