RE: [Aroid-l] Seed Germination

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Seed Germination
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:34:17 +0000

>From: "Craig Presnell" <jcpresnell@earthlink.net>
>To: "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
>Subject: [Aroid-l] Seed Germination
>Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:06:33 -0500

Dear Craig,

I know about the Montrichardia seed, they will fall off the spadix when mature, clean them, and float them in a large bowl of warmish water (80 deg. F.?) in a well-lit area, they will produce good roots while floating in water, when they have two or more 'pre-leaves' and lots of white roots, plant them in a pot with sand-on-top-of- soil mix, 2" of crock or larva rock BELOW the layer of soil in a saucer of water about 1 1/2" deep, the soil is kept from being UNDER the water level.   If the remaining seed contacts actual soil-mix they tend to rot, hence the layer of about 3/4" of plain sand on top of the soil-mix.

Where did you get the mother-plant, and how did you fertilize to obtain fruit??

The Best,

>I have just finished harvesting seed from my Lagenandra ovata and have seed

>ripening on a Montrichardia linifera.  Does anyone know if there are any
>special conditions I need to address to sprout them?
>Aroid-l mailing list
Aroid-l mailing list