Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:40:20 -0500

	The Colocasia gigantea that we sell came from Hayes Jackson of Alabama,
who got it from a next door neighbor, who moved to the US from Thailand.  I
suspect that most of this in the US originated from this clone.  It has
survived 5 degrees F here, with no mulch, but it never reaches much more
than 4' in height.  This form is stoloniferous, but the stolons don't run
far from the parent as in C. esculenta var. aquatalis.

	For spring, we will have a new form, collected in 2003 by Petra Schmidt in
Thailand.  These plants are much larger...make that massively larger than
the form we grew before.  Seedlings planted in the ground in May reached
6-7' tall x 10+' wide in 5 months.  In the wild, the clump was around 9'
tall with leaves much larger than a normal person.  This will be our first
winter with this new form in the ground, but we've got our fingers crossed.
 I'm curious if there are more forms of Colocasia gigantea being grown out
there in aroid land.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden