Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?
  • From: "David S." <maui4me@charter.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:44:11 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com
To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 6:35 PM

David,  it is funny I thought about those little bamboo water features too
when the gigantea fill and drop water.  The most unusual thing about them
are the little appendages that can be found on the undersides of the leaves.
They can be quite invasive too.

Yeah, I found out quickly that they didn't form much of a corm or tuber, but
were quite stoloniferous.  The first winter I had them, I made the mistake
of sticking them in the basement dry like the common elephant ear and almost
lost them.  They were in a pot then and I hadn't dug around to explore and
when I did, I was shocked to find no tuber.  It was my first experience with
any of them and I had figured that all Colocasias formed tubers.  Since
then, I've found that ones that do form them seem to be more uncommon.  Mine
just got zapped with 20°F two nights ago and look rather pitiful.
Fortunately, I really heaped on the leaves from the yard two weeks ago, so I
think they'll be just fine come Spring.

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN (Zone 6a)

Aroid-l mailing list