RE: [Aroid-l] Seed Germination

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Seed Germination
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:18:34 +0000

>From: "Craig Presnell" <jcpresnell@earthlink.net>
>To: "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
>Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Seed Germination
>Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:40:15 -0500

Hello Craig,

You did my old heart good, the chickens have come home to roost, so to speak.   The original collection of seeds that produced the parents of your plants ( that you got from our mutual friend Richard) were collected in Nariva swamp of the E. Coast of Trinidad, W.I. by my elder brother Hans who still lives in Trinidad, Richard and myself are old friends dating back many years, he is a great guy.    I`m just glad that both his and obviously your plants of this wonderful genus are doing so well, his are the size of the parents, I get such a thrill when I visit him and see the size of his!    We still are not certain how his are pollinated, as big bees and scrab beetles are the pollinators in their native habitat, but they smell sop fragrant I`d not be surprised if SOME insect is attracted to them at anthesis.     There is a dwarf clone of Montrichardia in Florida that I collected years ago, Charlie Mc Daniel has it, no taller than 5 ft., thin as your finger and blooms at this size.

So glad that I solved this one!   Thanks for the info.   By the way, the seeds are good eating when roasted according to Pete Boyce who ate them w/ the natives in Brazil.   The infructesence looks like a small, really knobby pineapple

Good Growing,

>Hello Julius,

>Thanks for your help and I hope I'm not being presumptous about the fruit, but I can send you of what I think are fruit.
>I got the mother plant from a mutual friend, Richard at Mesozoic Landscapes.  I grow aquatics and he brought it to me last year when he stopped by my nursery to get some Victoria waterlilies.  To fertilize it, I just tried plain old hand pollination, but there could have been some rogue insects involved as well.<g>
>Aroid-l mailing list
Aroid-l mailing list