[Aroid-l] Maturity of Anthurium infructescence

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Maturity of Anthurium infructescence
  • From: Don Martinson <llmen@wi.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:21:30 -0600

My only previous experience with a fruiting Anthurium was with A. trinerve (has anyone been able to locate seed or other source for this?), and the fruit seemed to mature within a matter of a month or so.

My Anthurium halmoorei has finally seemed to set fruit, but seems to be taking it's good natured time to mature. Here is a link to a photo of an approximately 5 month old infructescence:

http://home.wi.rr.com/llmen/halmooreifruit.jpg

Is time to maturity primarily a species dependent event, or could it be delayed because the temperature at which I keep the plant is only about 70F/20C? The plant seems healthy in all other respects.

Thanks,
--
Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin