Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea hardiness?
  • From: "Bamboo Chik" <bamboochik@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:41:12 -0600

Michael, do you have any idea why they are not getting as large? I know my Colocasia, no matter which species, is very attractive to voles so I always dig them up even though it is not necessary in my climate. Could it be that they are nibbling on the rhizomes and causing this? ...b.f.n...deb/S.AL

Sent: 11/28/2004 9:25:03 PM

I got my plant from PDN a few years ago and the first year it grew HUGE.  The leaves were a good 4-5 foot and spread was easily 10 foot. Perhaps it was all the goat and chicken poo?  The past few summers they have not gotten quite so big.  they are  definitely very hardy though...the first freezes of this season cut them back but since then they have all put out new leaves.
Michael